Thursday, January 22, 2009

Some Fine Southern Cooking

This recipe is from my friend Grace. There is a special place in Heaven for this woman. She survived being my grade partner for two years. Always the Southern lady, she constantly put me to shame with my impatience and gruff manner. Grace could always find the good in people. She wrote:

Please find Mom's Potato salad recipe as best as I can get it. She is a typical southern cook (who has not cooked for many years, the recipe was probably her mother's recipe, and she died in 1987).
Mom was positive on the ingredients, not on the amounts, so I have done my best there. Many things were a handful (how big is the hand? "Oh about like yours") so I am estimating and using my ability to "taste" a recipe as it is written.
Hope people enjoy it.
I love this recipe. It reminds me of peaceful days on the Suwannee River at Suwan-oaks with our children. Grandma and later Uncle Dave cooking up a storm for extended family, friends, & neighbors.
The dinner table, built by the wood-shop at Uncle Dave's high school, was a groaning board, full of the best the family had to offer family or guests.
This recipe would typically accompany ham, chicken, or fried fish, field peas or greens, and always lots of fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, and, of course, fresh cornbread. Talk about tasting the love! I am drooling as I write!
Love, Grace
Mom's Potato Salad

4 large Idaho baking potatoes
½ cup celery, chopped fine (include leaves)
½ cup onion, preferably Vidalia, chopped fine
½ cup sweet pickles chopped fine
4 hard cooked eggs chopped
1 cup mayonnaise (real mayonnaise, not salad dressing)
2 TBSP mustard
Salt & pepper to taste

Peel and dice potatoes (1/2 in. dice)
Cook until quite soft, drain, return to pan and shake to remove excess moisture
Mash 1/2 –3/4 of potatoes
Add remaining ingredients and mix well
If too chunky, mash some more

Mom says 4 servings: I usually get 6+ depending on the number of men at the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment